Saturday, June 9, 2007

Insects, Larvae, Arachnids.. and a river!

It was a gorgeous day today, we actually had SUN! I even got myself a small tan line going on. So I sat outside much of the day staring into plants looking for bugs. I was quite successful, though some of the pics didn't come out as well as I would have liked. The identifications of these might not be 100% accurate, but should be close. All of these were taken with the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, with the exception of the last one, which was taken with the Canon 17-40 f/4L.

Two caterpillars. The one on the right is possibly a Vapourer Moth Larvae.


This little guy is a Wooly Aphid. Can't say I've ever seen one of these before!
Ladybug LarvaeTetragnatha Extansa or Long-Jawed Orb Weaver. I moved a branch and she came running out and scared me, looks like I scared her too! When frightened, they stretch out along branches to disguise themselves.

Perhaps some type of wasp, standing on an aphid! Amazing what you find after you take a photo.
Beetle PartyDuring the summer, all the boats start coming out and cruising down the river that runs through our area. There are some that are stationary (further into town) that you can have dinner on, and some take you on tours. These are just local owners, and a beautiful day!

9 comments:

tasra said...

Okay, so I'm not a spider/ arachnid/ creepy crawly fan at all. But I will say that you're a great photographer! ;-)

Wendy said...

OMG...I love the bugs, thank you so much for sharing! Beautiful!! I think my favorite is the 3 beetles, made me laugh! The canal photo was beautiful too, crisp and clear!

cherie said...

great color in these and detail. the canal one is very pretty. looks like a gret place to relax. very nice shots thanks for sharing.

NJStampinMom / "Lynn" said...

I'm so glad you joined the point-shoot-blog! I've missed your photos. Look forward to seeing LOTS more. Hope you're feeling good.

Dana Tate said...

great photos...but i hate bugs...

Gayle said...

I'm wowed by your macro photography! Fabulous job, and it stirs a bit of a challenge in me to find bugs now, to photograph! :0)

Unknown said...

ok not a bug person But these are great my students would love these - great pics!

Colleen said...

WOW!!! AMAZING buggy pics!!!

pdxscrappinmamma said...

Great clarity on the bug shots. What in the world are those 3 critters doing??????? On 2nd thought, don't answer that :) I really enjoyed looking over your shots. Beautiful work.