Friday, June 15, 2007

DOF and Bokeh

Lots of pics today!

The cool thing about Macro is the very shallow depth of field. All it takes is a slight sway for things to be out of focus. The Macro photos were all taken between about F/9 and F/11. So you can see how small the area is to work with! Also the bokeh on the 100mm macro is nice and creamy (like buttah!)

This red mite spider was teeny tiny!! Probably only a few millimeters at best. You can clearly see the limited DOF here. Here also, I just had this guy in the right spot. If you look past him the brick wall is unrecognizable as brick, and just appears as shades of color.
The area of bokeh is small here, but I cropped it wide so you can still see the out of focus leaf in the background.
This photo, while it looks mainly black, is actually a bunch of leaves from a tree behind this leaf! They were just so far back, most of the light didn't hit them, and they barely showed up as bokeh. You can see a small bit towards the bottom that appears dark green in the shadows.

The following two photos were taken with the 50mm f/1.8. If you look at the highlights in the bokeh, you can see that they have a shape (looks 5 sided). This is from the blades that form the aperture (like Danielle was saying). They don't show up as much when there isn't a lot of contrast in the OOF area, but here it's quite obvious.

Here's another one, in the highlights in the bushes, you can see the shape from the blades.

This isn't a great example of bokeh, but I liked this picture and thought I would share it anyway. Cossie got a new backpack to carry his treats, toys, water and sometimes help me with the fruits and veggies I get at the market when my hands are full. DH and I took him for a walk with it on him today to get him used to it. They were suppose to send me black though and I ended up with green! :) Taken with the 70-200 f/4L

13 comments:

tasra said...

Great shots! I love how you really demonstrate the difference between the different lens and different shots. Looks like you're enjoying your new camera!

Gayle said...

I'm always so amazed at your macro shots! And, where do you find all these little creatures? You must have a keen eye...and definitely a keen eye for photography.

Colleen said...

Great shots and SO informative!! I *think* I get it now!

cherie said...

Wow....faboulous shots. these thoughts are fabulous. Thnak you for taking the time to show examples and to go into detail. Love your work and so glad you are part of this group. i for one know I will learn alot from you and the other ladies here.

photo_chick said...

Great examples!!!! And I love the doggie backpack.

Anonymous said...

Great shots. Especially like the first one and the close up of the Rottie.

Jane F. Smith said...

WOW, some great shots here!!! Love the insect shots!! great dof!!

Heather Taylor Photography said...

AWESOME post! You seem like you had a lot of fun doing these shots! Great example of the challenge this week! Love the little backpack, too. :)

Unknown said...

where the heck do you find those bugs?? Wonderful shots -- love them - themacro shots are wonderful!

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!!
Great examples of DOF.
I would love to have a 100 macro, we have so many creepy crawlies here lol.
Love the colors too

jenney said...

Wow! These are great shots! I love the spider one!

Wendy said...

Wow! These are great! Somehow I've missed you on the SB.com challenge but went to Cherie's site and have gone through her list! I added you to my blog photo folder so I won't miss you anymore!! I love your depth of field photos, Awesome!!

Steve Reekie said...

Some great stuff there!
What camera do you use?
I'm using a Lumix FZ8 with a Raynx DCR 150 macro lens.
My camera only does up to F/8 though,but its still ok.
I mostly post on Trek Nature and Trek Lens.
Maybe see you there sometime.
Cheers
Steve